Author: Jenny Lin
The mighty and magnificent Dragon of mythical folklore never ceases to enchant or stir the imagination. The Dragon is one of the four celestial animals and is important and powerful symbols in Feng Shui. The Dragon represents the ultimate ‘Yang’ symbol, male vigor, courage and bravery. It is magnanimous and full of vitality and strength. Affiliated with the cardinal direction “East” based on Landscape Feng Shui, the Dragon becomes a very powerful and potent symbol when placed in this sector, although it can be placed in any other directions.
In Chinese culture and in Feng Shui, the dragon is the most auspicious and magnificent, mightiest and most sacred of all creatures and to be treated with great respect. Through generations, the dragon has been the ultimate symbol of power, abundance, good luck and honor. In ancient times, the Emperors of China regarded themselves as the Dragons and the symbol of Dragons can only be used by the them and no one else.
The Dragon is said to create the precious cosmic Chi or known as the ‘Sheng Chi’ which brings good fortunes into our homes and workplaces, making it an all-rounder bringer of good luck. The Dragons are a powerful cure and enhancer for business luck, brings foresight and wisdom for the elderly, brings honor to the family, protects the wearer and paves the way for more accolades in coming years.
The Dragon frequently appears in carvings or statues holding a ball, or pearl. This can symbolize success and victory in wealth attainment and career achievement..
In Chinese Astrology, the Dragon is the fifth sign of the Chinese Zodiac and its intrinsic element is earth. The compass direction of the Dragon is 97.5 degrees to 127.5 degrees. Its allies are the Rat and the Monkey and the Rooster is its secret friend.
In Feng Shui, Dragons can be placed in many areas of the home or office to guard, protect, bring strength and fortune, and to activate masculine energy. Here is how you can use the Dragon to Feng Shui your way to a better life.
1. For people born in the year of Dragon, place the Dragon on your work or study desk, in the sector between 97.5 degrees to 127.5 degrees of your house, or in the Rat or the Monkey sector (allies of Dragon) to energize your personal good wealth luck.
2. Based on the Pakua's 8 Life Aspirations Method, place the Dragon in the Northwest sector of your home to favor patriarch’s luck. This will also bring powerful friends, mentors and advisors into your life.
3. Place the Dragon near your water features like aquarium or fountains for those craving for good fortune, advancement in their career or seeking fame and recognition. You will experience new opportunities and better luck.
4. Place the Dragon in the North sector to enhance your career luck. It will help you up a few prongs of your career ladder.
5. It is an excellent idea to activate the dragon by placing a dragon in the East sector of your home or living room to bring good health and harmony to the residents of the house.
6. For career luck and those seeking continuous achievement, place a Dragon figurine on the table, cabinet or in the East sector of your office or study. Your professional luck will look rosy.
7. In Flying Star Feng Shui, the Dragon made from metal (brass, bronze, pewter, cloisonné etc.) can be used to ward-off the evil influences of the malignant #5 yellow star and #2 black star. The #2 black star is also known as the ‘Sickness Star’ which brings illnesses and ailments to occupants while the #5 yellow star is the ‘Disaster Star’ that instigates fights, accidents and death. Placing the metallic Dragon in the affected sectors will dissolve these adverse energies.
* Do not place any representation of the dragon inside the bedroom as the Dragon is the ultimate ‘yang’ symbol and is not suitable for a place of rest where ‘yin’ is preferred.
** Try not to place the Dragon higher than our eye level to ensure they are under our control.
** Never place the Dragon in the toilet of bathroom.
Jenny Lin is the author of Feng Shui Products for a Better Life, an online Feng Shui Shop offering a wide variety of Feng Shui Dragon.